Monday, May 28, 2012

My TEFL job fell through and now I am homeless. What do I do?

My TEFL job fell through and now I am homeless. What do I do?
I was booked to go to South Korea for a year starting in mid august. I had arranged a replacement tenant for my room in my house, very nearly quit my job and promised my friends they could loan my stuff for a couple of years whilst I was away, Now, the company who I was going through (naming no names) have pulled the carpet from underneath me and now I am homeless and have no idea what to do. I want to go travelling and teaching was a good opportunity for me to make money and do a bit of travelling at the same time. I still want to go abroad with my girlfriend and work and save money to go proper backpacking afterwards. I also want to be a teacher when I return home so that experience would have been invaluable for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i could do next please? I have looked at other companies doing the same TEFL stuff but have no idea which are reputable and I do not to limit myself to just teaching. If anyone has done something similar and had a good time could you let me know please??? Thanks a lot
Teaching - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I taught abroad in two countries and loved it. I found the jobs I had by networking - a friend of a friend knew of the school or had taught there, etc. I applied directly to the schools and didn't work with recruiters. I actually had offers to teach at several others that I'm sure I would have also loved. If you are friends with internationals in the US, ask them for recommendations. (If you are not, make some friends - it will help you understand the culture better). Teaching is normally the easiest job to find overseas. Once you are there, you might find some offers for acting/working on curriculum, but you'll need to get there first and you'll also have the issue of getting a visa.