Sunday, April 1, 2012

What is your opinion on these options for a great international/educational experience?

What is your opinion on these options for a great international/educational experience?
I graduated college and got my BA a year ago. I got a liberal arts type education and have the desire to return to school for something a little more focused if I can (I love school as long as Im interested in what im learning). Ive been working in the service industry and took 2 months off to travel Costa Rica and do some U.S. road tripping this past May/June. Before I return to school or commit to a possible long-term employment position I feel I need to have a more meaningful/ longer experience traveling abroad. Here are my thoughts with some goals of mine. Any opinions and/or suggestions you have would be great!!! I have some savings initially but I would definitely need to be a budget/backpacking sort of traveler. Any way to make money along the way would be very goooood. 1) Teach English. I really want to do this and am torn between a spanish speaking country where I am at least a bit familiar with the language (but hard to get jobs and wouldnt get paid anything significant) and an Asian country where the money would support my living costs and even supply savings. Thoughts: Thailand, South Korea, China. Or Spain or a Latin American country. I have also recently heard good things about doing this in PRAGUE as well!!? 2) Learn Spanish. This is the most useful second language in the United States, where I live. I know this makes it seem like I should teach in a spanish speaking country, but I really want to make it to SouthEast/ East Asia too. Plus learning Spanish might be something I could more easily fit into my life when I have less of a long-term, no commitment lifestyle like I do now. (?) 3) Work on a Holiday visa in New Zealand. This would be less of a challenge but I think very enjoyable. I could work my way through the country at Hotels/ restaurants or trying to raise funds for Greenpeace or do farm work for a while. I would love to do more than one of these and travel to other locations inbetween too. Also thoughts on best times of the year to start any of these adventures is appreciated.
Studying Abroad - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
some thoughts: you could actually do 1 and 2 together. prague is a great place, many people there already know english - so it would be easier to communicate all the while, still having a chance to teach english. new zealand is a great place to spend some time. So - if you are looking for something that looks good on a resume, go for the english teaching first (either spanish speaking or prague or asia) If you want to get 2 birds with one stone, teach english in a spanish speaking country. Work in the new zealand experience at some point, but it might not be as impressive on a resume - but a great experience nevertheless. Good luck and have a great time whatever you choose!