Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Traveling abroad and using credit card - will bank freeze my account?

Traveling abroad and using credit card - will bank freeze my account?
I'm going to be traveling to South Korea. I'm going to use my VISA and Mastercard credit cards there. This is out of the ordinary for me, so I'm worried that my bank account will be frozen. The question is: Will my account be frozen AFTER I make the purchase (so the merchant will get the money), or will the transaction just not go through (so the merchant would not get the payment until I clear things up with the bank)?
Credit - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Call them the day before you go on your trip and tell them. Generally, if they see airline reservations from your home to your vacation destination you have nothing, absolutely nothing to worry about. If out of the blue, charges from another country start coming in, they will generally call you at your home number, if no answer, they may suspend charges. If you find yourself with your card being suspended on vacation, just call the 800 number in the back and tell them you are making the charges. You'll be fine, especially if that airline trip is on your credit card. The airline tickets will give the credit card company a clue that you are traveling on vacation. Any problems, a quick phone call will lift any suspensions. Enjoy..
2 :
The question should be asked of your bank - not Yahoo Answers.
3 :
The first thing you need to find out is whether your card would even work in the country you are going to be visiting. Second, ANYTIME you are going to be traveling to another country, the FIRST thing you do is contact your bank and TELL them you are going to be traveling and using your card in another country in order to prevent them from freezing your card and leaving you high and dry! Why you wouldn't just head this off and let your bank know your plans is beyond me. Why would you want to travel and then take a chance that you could use the card and then "just deal with it" when they freeze your account for unusual activity they think is fraud is nuts.