Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Question(s) for Koreans or Korean-Americans regarding racism?

Question(s) for Koreans or Korean-Americans regarding racism?
(I originally posted this question in the "General Cultures and Groups" category, but I'm not getting answers and that category seems like a total joke, anyway.) Over the past few months, I have become very interested in the culture of South Korea. I'm even making plans to save money for a trip there, just to learn about the culture and interact with the people living there as much as possible. So, I have to ask: I've read a lot, recently, about racism in Korea. Apparently, Koreans avoid foreigners. One article I read even said that, if a Korean is forced to work with a foreigner, he will view the foreigner as more of a "tool" than a co-worker. While I am slightly disappointed about this, I don't think racism is something that you can blame someone for. But, I'm wondering how much harder it will be for me to interact with Koreans. Can any Koreans or Korean-Americans provide me with some insight on the subject, and perhaps explain it a little? Or, if any "foreigners" have visited Korea, could you tell me about your experiences? -- On a somewhat related note, how do Koreans feel about homosexuality? Specifically, how would the average Korean react if I told them that I'm homosexual? I'm a little worried about that, as well.
Korea - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Based on my experience with my Korean friends, and I am interested too... ok. I've heard many things, that they don't like blacks or mexicans (this doesn't go for the whole country, of course.) They do favor white foreigners and it does amaze them when they have interest in the country or know some Korean. Korean males tend to like fit white women.
2 :
Koreans' nationalism is not like German or Russian which are aggressive to other ethnics. They just have tried to unite themselves to defend them from foreign forces. They have racism for sure, and they have flunkeyism on the other hand, They act kind to the white(maybe Americans) but never to those who are from the countries of poverty. Actually the white from the U.S teaching in Korea are getting along with their Korean students or fellows. but the other ethnics from the countries of poverty are not treated justly even more if they are hired in a place like factory, according to the TV news. However, the main reason of avoiding foreginers for most people seems that they are simply shy or feel strange at foreigners, it's not like racism. Plus most Koreans dislike gays, I think. They are even still conservative in issues of sex between male and female. Of course there are gays and lesbians, but they do not act openly. Think, 40 % of Koreans are Christians for now, and overally their cultures have been under Confucianism for hundreds.
3 :
as a foreigner, u tend to feel more like a commodity b/c u speak english and are from an english speaking country. if you've ever worked at a school in korea (usually a hagwon), the owners aren't really parading your teaching skills to parents and potential teachers; they're showcasing where u are from and basically what u look like. its no secret the most sought after type of 'english teacher' in korea is the young, blue eyed, blonde female w/ a north american accent. everyone else is rank and file after that ideal. i never fit that described type (im filipino american) but being there a while, u learn some cues about some of the locals when they are interested more in what u are (a native english speaker) as opposed to who u are as a person. i've learned that once u pick up on things like that and dont dwell on it too much and move on, your time in korea gets better. word of warning. though they may not find it offensive what they did/are doing to u, if u do something similar or make a local lose face...prepare for hell. or mainly just yelling in korean how you're a bad person. as far as homosexuals go, i've met a couple locals who actually think homosexuality is a western thing and doesnt exist in korea. of course, they were also froma small rural town as well. its a real conservative society and if u dont fit in...u will get ostracized. but, in seoul (like in other large cities around the world) there is a gay district (maybe two?) there. one thing to realize when making korean male friends. there is a lot of skinship among males there. i've made a couple male friends, who were straight but had no problems putting their hand on my lower back or arms around me when walking. and males dancing together at a night club isn't frowned upon as being 'gay' as is it is in the states. that stuff isn't my cup of tea but a few things i've encountered while there. try staying in the larger cities if u end up making ur way to korea.
4 :
Okay, I am African American and lived in Korea for 8 years and never in Seoul. Some of what goodgood is true. However, you asked from a non-Koreans point of view and I think goodgoods view is a little slanted. BTW, I also speak, read and write the language as well as attended Yonsei University...one of the top universities in Korea. Koreans aren't so much racist in my experience, but xenophobic. There is a difference. There is not liking you because of your race and then there is avoiding you because they don't know anything about you. It's not the same thing. I personally only encountered true racism (as an African-American I know what that is), only once while living there. You will get stared at in the smaller towns and cities, but don't take it personal. You are different to look at. I was never avoided...especially after I spoke up in their language. As goodgood said, for the most part, they don't want to embarrass themselves around others. I never felt like I was a tool. Although, I always kept in mind that I was in THEIR country and had to respect and be aware of their culture and I am not Korean. I even nearly married a Korean woman. When we broke up, her father was the most upset of all. However, we are all still friends. Even today, I continue to have many friends in Korea after moving back to the US. A Korean friend is a friend for life.