Thursday, June 14, 2012

What are my chances of admission into an ivy league school? What more should I do?

What are my chances of admission into an ivy league school? What more should I do?
I'm an international(South Korea) engineering-hopeful applicant. My "resume": -GPA 3.8 (Sadly, my school is disgustingly hypercompetitive). -TOEFL(internet based) - 120/120 -SAT - 2380(I might take it again) -SATII: Chemistry, Physics, Both Maths - 800 -AP: Calculus BC, Physics B, Physics C, Chemistry (All 5) -Student council all three years of high school -60-70 hours of community service -Baksetball team(If that matters) I'm super personable and speak perfect English, but a few hitches are making me hesitant in applying: 1. I'm not rich. WIthout a scholarship, I couldn't attend even if I were admitted 2. I've already graduated from high school 3. I have no ties with America I have to spend an awful lot of money to apply for college because I need to have a third-party translate my report cards into English and send them to the schools I tell them to. If I don't stand a chance I'd rather save the money. Thanks in advance!!
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
As with everything, it's not what you know, but who you know. Research the past graduates of the school, and see who's butt would liked to be kissed the most! Pucker up.
2 :
Ivy League schools might be out of the question but only for the last reason you have given. Admissions wants to get people in their school who will do well, succeed in the world and then give back to the school. That is why in most places the alumni table is set up as soon as you get off of the stage after walking. I would focus a lot on your community service and your ability to give back especially to people and orginazations who have helped you in the past. If they they think you are going to go back to South Korea and take all of the money you make with you they will be less likely to admit you.
3 :
Honestly, your resume looks great and by great I mean you're practically a shoe in ... but it will be kind of hard getting into an ivy-league school as an international student without much money. The best bet you have is to search for as much aid as possible ... obviously in advance, scholarships are out there but you really have to search and search early. There are many universities that offer large amounts of aid to international students but there are also many international students trying to get into ivy-league schools. Good luck with your search and remember sadly there are always loans !