Friday, June 14, 2013

Why are Americans so mean to immigrants?

Why are Americans so mean to immigrants?
Hi all, I just had a burning feeling this afternoon when I found out that many people I know from my school actually hated Asian immigrants and even wanted them to go back to their countries. I strongly felt that I must tell the truth not only about Asian immigrants but also all other immigrants from different countries who must be by now feeling tortured and discriminated like Black Americans did 40 years ago in this very same place. I found no other perfect place than this website to tell this because I have my life and I can't reveal myself in public. I am one of the millions of FOB (Fresh Off the Boat, which means, by one of the definitions, an Asian immigrant who was not born in American and moved to here recently) high school studnets living in America. About 2 years ago, I and my family went through all the legal process to become a legal resident who ARE LEGALLY ALLOWED to LIVE in UNITED STATES. My father was a very well-known businessman and we experienced all the wealthiest possible style of life in South Korea. My father was one of the extremely few people in Korea who could own Mercedes S550. And you know how hard it is to own a Mercedes in South Korea due to excessively higher tax and gas price. I can tell you why my family made a decision to come to US. It was because of a financial crisis that we were unaware of and eventually destroyed my family's wealth. And you CANNOT say 'GO BACK TO YOUR COUNTRY IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LIVE to us not any more when you think about your ancestors ALSO came here because of almost the same reason. I am especially telling you people who have never met Asian Immigrants and spent most of the time blaming them for stealing precious job opportunities. America was NOT your land. Your ancestors did NOT live here in the first place. They crossed the Atlantic Ocean and settled here. Why did they come here? Well I guess you already know if you have a high school diploma. It was inevitable. You CANNOT expect what's going to happen in the future. Not even tomorrow. I have to say I was in the situation in which my family had no choice but to come here. And I am really sorry to be a thorn in you eyes. And I am really sorry that I am living in the place where you guys don't want us to live. But one thing is true. We, Asian immigrants and all other immigrants from all around the world, are going through very hard time in here to settle in this totally new place just like your ancestors had very strenuous time for first couple of years after they came to here. One more thing is true. We are not stealing your job opportunities. We are just doing our best to SURVIVE in this JUNGLE. And this will give you an explanation for what you guys have observed from most Asian people in the school. We look all the same like people with down syndrome. I know you guys are making fun of us like that. We are very awkward and shy. Every move we make, every word we say might seem to be really funny to you guys. We are always looking at the book, without saying any word and just looking at the book all the time. And the top student in your math and science class is Asian and they are pissing you off. It feels like they stole your grades. I know. But I am telling you that we do it only because we want to survive in this country. And that is the only way for us to survive. As you might already know we are not good at sports, we are not good at socilizing with other people. All we take care of is just keeping a good grade and I am telling you that is the only way. My family is going through a very hard time. Financially we are being tortured now. I miss the old days when I lived in Korea, having all those wealth. But we lose all. All the money slipped out of our hands. But we pay taxes. Even more taxes than you guys have to pay because we are not American citizens yet. I can't vote and I don't mean I want to vote. And I don't want to vote because it will bring much further controvercy. I pay tons of taxes. You guys can pay a little bit of money when you go to the state college or community college. Buy did you know that we pay the tuition 5 times more than you tuition? We pay almost the same amount of money as tuition fee the IVY league colleges require you to pay. We are the people who keep America wealthy. We are the people who make American the Number One, the most powerful country in the world. But, Why are you guys so mean to us? Why do you guys want us to go back? Think about all the reasons why your ancestors had to come here.
Other - Cultures & Groups - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Don't tell me off I'm spanish!
2 :
You have to go back in history when the Kingdoms were built, all the Kings in Europe are relaten in blood,when they form this Kingdoms they formed them for one reson only the supreme being, and nothing is going to change this.
3 :
well it's not America that is prejudice it's the people in America, it is usually the majority race that discriminates against the minority such as blacks, Mexicans, Asians, etc. no matter what stereotypes and prejudice will be around, it's just how to make the best of it. an other big problem is the "majority" get's intimidated by the up rise of minorities having a higher part in society, kinda how when women were at no power, and now with the women rights law they have more power same thing done to the blacks. prejudice and bigotry is all around us, even if everyone looked the exact same someone will find something to be prejudice about.
4 :
Kaylee, you are grossly mistaken in believing what the text books tell you that original Americans immigrated to North America...THEY INVADED IT!!! There were no negotiations...they killed for the land and made indians appear as savages...indians just had a different ideal for civility. Anyway, I hope that what I read from you is a bit deeper that reality. You may be a bit paranoid and that many people don't even care or give it a second thought that you're around. Especially if you're not interfering with anyone elses' actions. Yes, there are few people that act that way and are typically more trouble than their worth. But, I strongly feel that you're misinterpretting peoples' actions and that you're not the center of their attention and unless you're "poking, teasing, arguing, testing" them, then they most likely don't even know that you're there. You've had a tough experience so far which has no doubt added and really augmented your stress (and family too)...you're not alone there either. Far too many Americans are out of work because of the economy...everyones' house values have plummetted severely; retirement funds stolen by thieves (Enron, Worldcom, etc). That said, are you sure you're not being entirely paranoid? (aside from a very small handful of disrespectful individuals) I don't see what you claim: ie. huh? down-syndrome lookalike? wtf? are you serious? You are so very hard on yourself for little to no reason. Trust that your father will make ends meet and maybe not attain his original lifestyle but that he'll get by fine. Take care and good luck to you!
5 :
I'm sorry that you're having a hard time but: 1. Kids are cruel. Most people have to put up with taunts and teasing at some point in their lives because that's the way that people are. Take it on the chin and keep it moving. The only thing you can do; 2. We can pay lower fees if we go to a school in the state where we are resident but we have to pay much higher prices if it's an out of state school and we also have to pay much higher prices than the residents of other countries when we study abroad. It's not an American thing, it happens all over the world; 3. I lived in Asia and, I know everyone isn't like this but I'm sure if you think about it you'll have to agree - I think I was treated much worse in China than a Chinese or Korean would be treated in America and the way that people were when visiting other Asian countries (with the exception of Japan) was far beyond anything that you will have to deal with in the US. No one is pointing and staring, taking pictures of you, turning their kids around and pointing so that they can see you, pressing their noses against the glass of the restaurant so they can watch you eat, etc. It's not right what you're going through but we go through it in other countries too. Just keep doing what you're doing and everything will work out eventually.
6 :
It's mostly the ILLEGAL immigrants and that is because they don't belong here.
7 :
I'm sorry to hear that, but I believe you father will be fine. Although I'm an non-immigrant malaysian student who is now studying in college, I understand how you feel... Just be strong and be yourself :)
8 :
Well from my own personal view point and opinion; not speaking for everyone of course. Americans are really,really, really stupid people over all. We allow pieces of garbage like the Republicans to tell us what to do, how to live, who to hate, etc. Personally I have no issue with immigrants, and I think a lot of the Americans who have a brain and can think for themselves feel the same way, sadly thats only a small percentage of Americans, most require some one in a position of power telling them how to think. Also when it comes to the citizenship test that is required for immigrants to take to become a American citizen, its likely 70% or more of US born citizens would fail the test due to this countries extremely bad education standards. One of the big reasons Americans dislike immigrants in general is because of the large percentage of illegal Mexicans and other illegal Hispanics that are in this country; and Americans being the stupid, intolerant people they are; generalize what one group of immigrants is doing to all. America was built on immigration, this is a country of every culture, race, etc; and its a fact that American requires immigration to survive. So by all means tell those individuals at school to go screw themselves, they sound like they are to stupid to waste time on.