Friday, December 7, 2012

Sixteen hour flight and a 2 year old... help!?

Sixteen hour flight and a 2 year old... help!?
I am about to make a flight from South Korea to Atlanta, and I was told that depending on the winds, it could be anywhere from 14 - 16 hours. I have a 2 1/2 year old son who is full of energy, but can sit down and be calm and entertained as long as it's something he's interested in. I was thinking about buying a portable dvd player, because he could watch movies all day if we let him, but it just seems like a waste of money for a one time event. Does anyone have any ideas they can give me to help me get through my flight without having a toddler jumping up and down in the seats, screaming his head off? Thank you so much, and God bless! Yeah, for those of you suggesting that I drug my child... that is not an option. I am willing and able to work with him so that we have a pleasant trip, I just need some ideas. Our usual day consists of going out to a playground or for bike rides, swimming, getting a smoothie, anything that allows us to go out. So sitting in the same spot for 16 hours is going to be a change.
Toddler & Preschooler - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I've been flying internationally and domestically with my children since they were 2 months (now 8&5 and baby number 3 was born 23 December). At least three trips a year are the children and I traveling internationally (14+ hours each way) alone. In addition to that, we do another 8-10 international and domestic flights a year as a family. I have never had any problems with my children on any of the flights (and like you, I don't believe in drugging them either!). Here are a few tips and suggestions: 1.) Make sure to pack plenty of things to entertain your child, such as a few books, toys, a portable DVD player (be sure to bring extra batteries) or let him use your laptop (make sure it's fully charged) with a few movies, and one or two comfort things such as a favorite blankie or stuffed animal. I always bring a small pillow and blanket from home for my children (even now) because I know 100% that they are clean, and my children are accustomed to them. My children like to bring along their own coloring books, a Doodle Pad, their Leap Pads (with a few booklets), and scrap paper that they can make their own drawings with and play games such as tic-tac-toe. My daughter used to like to bring along a doodle bear when she was younger so that she could draw on that as well, and my son likes to bring along some action figures to play with. I found that buying a Rose Art kit is great! It has crayons, markers, coloring books, coloring sheets, and stickers that they can color. It definitely keeps them entertained! You can also play games like pat-a-cake, or I-spy, and tell stories to your children as well. If you tell a story, try to make it an interactive one where your son has a part in it so he stays interested. You might also consider going to the store and letting your child (I let my children start this at the age of one) pick out his own carry on bag and a few inexpensive toys that will be used only once you are on the plane. Be sure to pick out a few toys without him seeing so that he has an extra surprise when he opens his carry on. 2.) Bring Snacks! just add water packets of food, cheerios, goldfish, animal crackers, dried fruit, etc. are great. New regulations also allow you to take beverages (including water) from home as long as they are less than 3oz (100ml), -OR- beverages (including water) of any size that you have purchased from inside the security area onto planes. You can also bring a limited amount of baby food, yogurt, cheese, puddings, etc. with you also as long as they are in containers less than 3oz (100ml) As long as your children are with you, you are able to take as much formula, breast milk, or regular milk that you will need for you child for the duration of the time you will spend in the airport and on the flight (as long as it is within reason).And no, you will NOT have to taste it - no matter what form you bring it in. All that you must do is: 1. Separate the milk from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size (1 liter) zip-top bag. 2. Declare you have the items to one of the Security Officers at the security checkpoint. 3. Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening Save your money when it comes to buying water though because the Flight Attendants will provide you with hot or cold water (or any other drink) free at any time that you request, no matter how many times you request it. 3.) Keep your diaper bag well stocked with plenty of wipes, ointments and other essential things. Just remember the new law regulating liquids, gels, and such and pack accordingly. You can usually find travel size baby products in stores and they are wonderful for plane use. One thing I always like to carry with me is hand sanitizer! I always wipe the trays down with that (followed by a baby wipe) and use it for my kids after taking them to the bathroom (even though they wash their hands). I know that airplane bathrooms are not the cleanest, so that is why I try to be vigilant. Be sure to pack 2-3 changes of clothes for your son. You will need this in case he gets sick, spills something on himself, or in case your luggage gets lost. Bring any medications that you might need for your child should he get sick or that he takes regularly. Remember that if they are not prescription medications, the 3oz (100ml) rule applies to them and they must be kept in a clear plastic bag. Try to have your son use the bathroom as close to boarding as possible. This will help to make your child feel fresh and more comfortable for take-off (which could also mean less problems). 4.) Not all children have a problem with the pressure changes in their ears. If yours does however you'll want to know how to help. For take-offs and landings (the WHOLE way up, and starting from the BEGINNING, or TOP of descent), the best ways to alleviate ear pressure are to: *Give him something to drink (milk, water, juice - it doesn't matter) *Give him a pacifier to suck on *Tell him to yawn *Pinch his nostrils shut, have him take a deep breath in through the mouth, then tell him to (gently) blow as if trying to blow his nose *Place hot damp towels (usually like the ones distributed to first and business class before take-off and landing to freshen up with - just ask a flight attendant for them) or paper towels that have been soaked in hot water and wrung out, at the bottom of two paper or styrofoam cups, then hold the cups over the ears *Gently but with some pressure, rub his neck repeatedly from the chin to the base of the neck. This will cause a swallowing motion that will relieve pressure build-up in the ears. You can also try using a decongestant. It is always best to check with your doctor before using any type of medications though, to make sure you are using the one best suited to your childs needs. I personally have found pain relief medications don't really help, and at least in my experience, decongestants are a waste of money. I wrote a small article about flying with children that goes more in-depth, offers tips and tricks for the travel, etc. http://www.angelfire.com/jamiehassen79/flying_children.html If I can be of any more help or assistance, please feel free to contact me.