Friday, September 14, 2012

Do the English still look down upon the Irish?

Do the English still look down upon the Irish?
I have been to Dublin and Belfast and I have had mixed relations dealing with British people. I grew up with Irish elders who told me about how the English treated the Irish unfairly in the past. My great grandfather worked 16 hours a day some place near Liverpool to make enough money to go to Boston. I think it was a coal mine. It might have been Blackpool. I don't remember.I tried to ask people in Ireland how they felt about the English but then I got this lecture on Irish history but no answer as to what is going on right now between the English and the Irish. I heard a few comments about me not being "a Yank" and not Irish when I was in Ireland because I am an Irish American. I don't understand that. What the heck does that mean? I can remember asking my great grandfather from Sligo what was meant by that Yank comment that I wasn't Irish. He said, thank God, you're an American. And he gave me another Irish history lecture that I didn't really understand but I listened anyway.He died the next week at 97. Do the English still look down upon the Irish as inferior to them? Is that hate over (finally)? Why can't Ireland be one nation with Catholics and Protestants living in harmony like the USA? Why must Ireland be separated like North and South Korea like they are a threat to the world if they were united? In England, the police do not have guns and in Belfast they patrol the streets carrying machine guns. Germany was allowed to unite. Why can't Ireland be one nation once again?
Other - Cultures & Groups - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Its harder now to crack an Irish joke. Esp since the Irish Republic is doing so well economically. Their salaries are higher than the UK. Ireland is a success story.
2 :
The English look down upon everyone.
3 :
Northern Ireland is Irish land and will always be Irish land.
4 :
English still look down on Irish in Britain. America is of the British settlers. British who colonized in the USA discriminated against Irish because of the inferior history of Irish. Because there were plantations, the Irish are know for the ex-slave and Britain still rules Ireland. As a English, I will never release your country ever.