Thursday, September 1, 2011

What are some tips on finding privates to teach in South Korea? (ESL job)?

What are some tips on finding privates to teach in South Korea? (ESL job)?
Should I network in bars? or churches? Maybe volunteer work? ( I am willing to do volunteer work if I can get students to teach for some extra money) Should I make small talk with people at bookstores and in a subtle way let them know I am an English teacher and see if they are interested? Making flyer's would get me pinched I am sure but what are some good ways to get your name out? Any places online to advertise? Does anybody have any tips or strategies in finding privates and avoid getting in trouble? shop owners? neighbors? that is a surefire to get in trouble you jerk. Like you want me to get deported, idiot. thanks dude
Korea - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I think all of your suggestions are great. A good way to get privates is just to talk to as many people as you can. Talk to your neighbors, shop-owners etc. If you can get one this way, and charge something on the low side, before you know it you'll have more than you actually want, because word will spread. I know it sounds simple, because it is, but just talk to as many people as you can and the privates will trickle in. Another tip: Find foreigners who are on their way out of Korea. I got a great "hand me down" private from a friend who was finishing up his contract. His private wanted to continue, and he suggested me. Again, once your foot is in the door, you'll be able to expand via your current students. Hope that helps.
2 :
The best method is word of mouth. Talk to a lot of people (especially Koreans) and the offers will come your way. Don't waste your time or effort with flyers or online advertising. It doesn't work. Target professionals (people with money) Tips to avoid getting in trouble: 1) Never talk about the privates that you're teaching to coworkers. 2) Provide the student(s) with a high quality lesson. 3) Don't charge too little. (40K /hr. and up is the going rate)