Thursday, August 1, 2013

What choices do i have as an illegal immigrant(must read story)?

What choices do i have as an illegal immigrant(must read story)?
Well I came to United States in the year of 2006 from South Korea, and now I'm a Junior at a high school in Arizona. First my parents told me that I was visiting my Aunt and Uncle for their renewal of vows, and I came thinking it as just a vacation with my grand parents. I thought I was staying here for about a month meeting my cousins and such, until the school was starting that year. I was told by my parents that I was now going to stay here in Arizona and study and live here, so by the time the school began (7th grade), my grand parents were long gone. At first I didn't want to stay here and do this, but I was forced to do so against my own will. I've now spent almost 5 years now and I'm going to be 17 soon. I was told that I was going to be adopted by my Uncle and Aunt for my citizenship (I have no idea how that's going to work out), and that my parents would later once I receive my citizenship would come over and live with us. My parents have spent tons of money to send me to school here, but I've only disappointed them with my grades during my Junior year and both myself and my parents are worried about me not getting scholarship to a better college and blah blah blah. The thing is, I'm worried that if some how people find about my situation and decide to DEPORT ME BACK TO KOREA! For now, I have no desire to go back, I've made decent friends here, and going back would screw my life up so much, I would rather kill myself than getting deported back. I just feel like being stuck in a middle of some important immigration thing, but I just feel powerless in the situation. My Uncle when I was first told that I was staying here, persuaded me into staying here, it was like candies to my ears--which also have almost never come true. I feel that I'm not getting equal treatment as my cousins are, even though we're paying a lot to stay here and are planning to get me and my brother adopted here. I've had ever since disadvantage of not knowing and speaking English fluently- which has promptly swayed me from doing better in academics, since our cultures in Korea and here are totally different I was unaware of stuffs doing in Korea were just freaky in here, and my Uncle never bothered to tell me, and from that I've had this extreme self-conscious that makes me feel anti-social and just dumb guy who can't even make friends with people who I don't feel comfortable with. And another thing is, I don't get to drive while all of my friends and my cousin DO! only because I don't have a green card, and it makes me feel soooo... left out... I feel helpless because my parents are on the other side of the planet and I'm scared that things won't go as well as they have planned for myself and my brother... What am I supposed to do in this situation? Should I continue studying to go to college here and live here? Or should I prepare to be deported and find a way of getting back here? Because no matter what happens I don't plan on going back to Korea, because I'm just already too used to here and my Korean right now is so bad, its just useless to me (basically Korean:English ratio is 25%:75%)... What would be the best and worst result of this, and could someone explain how this adopting thing would work for me? Thanks so much, and God bless.
Immigration - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The adopting ship has sailed, darling. In order for it to work, you have to be under 16. Your Family waited too long.
2 :
If your parents can afford it, you should consult an immigration lawyer. Don't tell your uncle about it because from your story I suspect that he hasn't been honest with you. My understanding is that if you are residing in the U.S. without proper documentation, then you cannot regularize your status. Perhaps there are some ways around this, but you definitely need to start asking questions. Start with an immigration lawyer first.
3 :
Your parents are criminals and you need to go back to Korea. Also, you will be unable to receive scholarships as you are here illegally.
4 :
You need to go back home before you turn 18 1/2., otherwise, you will be living in hiding for the rest of your life. If you leave AFTER you turned 181/2, you will be facing a 10 year ban from coming back to the US. Talk to an attorney.
5 :
Since you're almost 17 now, it's too late to be adopted for citizenship. The age limit is 16. It appears that you came on a tourist visa, overstayed, and have been attending public schools for free, so I wonder why your parents are paying so much money unless it is room and board to your aunt and uncle. Had your parents spent that money on a F-1 visa and private school tuition instead, you would be in the US legally and able to get a driver's license. If you want to remain in the US, you need to leave within 6 months of your 18th birthday and apply for a F-1 visa to enroll in a US college or university. You are eligible for scholarships and aid at private colleges and universities. If you are unable to do that, then you can attend a university in Korea. Don't worry about your Korean language skills or your ability to adapt. I taught Korean university students who were raised abroad. They quickly learned the academic language needed to be successful in college and they reconnected with their native culture. Some universities even offer English-language undergraduate programs. As you probably know, you have much easier admission standards than Korean students in Korea because of your longtime overseas study. As a minor, you are under the authority of your parents and aunt and uncle, but once you become an adult, you have control over your life. You can have the life you want if you make informed choices and accept the consequences. Good luck!