Sunday, October 14, 2012

Question(s) for Koreans, or Korean-Americans regarding racism?

Question(s) for Koreans, or Korean-Americans regarding racism?
Over the past few months, I have become very interested in the culture of South Korea. I'm even making plans to save money for a trip there, just to learn about the culture and interact with the people living there as much as possible. So, I have to ask: I've read a lot, recently, about racism in Korea. Apparently, Koreans avoid foreigners. One article I read even said that, if a Korean is forced to work with a foreigner, he will view the foreigner as more of a "tool" than a co-worker. While I am slightly disappointed about this, I don't think racism is something that you can blame someone for. But, I'm wondering how much harder it will be for me to interact with Koreans. Can any Koreans or Korean-Americans provide me with some insight on the subject, and perhaps explain it a little? Or, if any "foreigners" have visited Korea, could you tell me about your experiences? -- On a somewhat related note, how do Koreans feel about homosexuality? Specifically, how would the average Korean react if I told them that I'm homosexual? I'm a little worried about that, as well.
Other - Cultures & Groups - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'm not Korean but racism exist pretty much anywhere, heck I heard that the Japanese are often times racist against Koreans. In Japan they say that no one discriminates against you but that if you do not respect the culture people do get offended. I think things are the same in Korea where you won't get bothered for traveling their but they may dislike you if you don't respect their traditions. I would think it best you don't tell anyone you are homosexual in Korea but you could always check out Korean gay hang outs.